Friday, July 2, 2010

T-shirt Dyeing! and other fabric-oriented stuff to play with





I have taken the plunge, so to speak, in experimenting with dyeing T-Shirts
myself. Had a whole big old pile of white and lighter colored shirts that just
wasn’t happening.... so I got a few colors to play with. I don’t plan to do this all the time
for my shirts, it is rather time-consuming (which is why it had to wait til summer). It
has been a lot of fun. Dharma Trading Co. makes the best Fabric Dyes! The dye and shirts can be seen soaking in my lovely bathtub, as well as the final result of the first color--a deep warm honey-
mustard tan shade! This shirt (with the blue bike logo) is one of my students’ class collaborative T-shirts from a past semester. I dyed a bunch of those class shirts too --I would like to sell them and see how it goes.
Also here are some antique copper batik/ ink stamps I just got from Dharma --again, to play with new design possibilities.
Exciting!