Monday, July 16, 2012
This black dye has blue-ish undertones in it--so it turned out kind of like a
dark-field-cyanotype-batik effect. When the printed fabric is held up to light,
it is even more beautiful. I got to be more painterly in my working back selectively
into the first round of printing on the silk, as I discovered accidentally what would
further lighten the printing. The black dye is likely an acid dye, as it is hard to
get a solid black dye on silk. I plan to continue experimenting with dyeing
and discharge printing on different weaves of silk, since I have always loved
Monday, July 2, 2012
Here is an in-progress view of my first foray into doing the Devore’ process of
burning-out patterns on silk/rayon scarves---which will then be dyed!
I print the fabric etch onto the scarf; it removes the rayon and leaves the
silk part of the cloth blend behind.
I am so psyched to do this process!! Stay tuned for the next step---full color!