Thursday, December 18, 2014

Comet Moon Cow

Newest design so far --for the young and young at heart, I think.
At the Philadelphia Waldorf School Holiday sale last month, a young boy approached
my table looking wide-eyed at all my shirts, clearly engaged. His mom then informed me
he liked cows and asked if I had a cow shirt. Unfortunately at that time I did not, and I do prefer my subjects to evolve into my design stock organically... but I continued thinking about this idea, since I like cows myself, have been thinking alot about them recently in general; and also, the comet probe
had just landed. I thought about making a cow on a comet, but the comet images from the probe that I saw looked entirely too rugged. Then I remembered the nursery rhyme, “Hey Diddle Diddle, the Cat & the Fiddle”--- with the cow jumping over the moon--- and figured that would be a good enough celestial body to include with my cow! This image started out as very small ballpoint pen sketch on the back of an envelope, came together quickly and had hopes of becoming a woodcut. Right now it is a screenprint for purposes of fabric-printing efficiency.
These will also debut this weekend at the Mt. Airy Art Garage holiday sale. I plan to have a good range of kid's sizes --3T (smallest size this image will fit on) up to Youth XL, and some adult sizes too--and ladies tank tops will be ready for the summer.
In the meantime, Happy early Winter Solstice!